As a School Counselor, my primary responsibility is to promote social/emotional development, academic, and career exploration for ALL students. I look forward to offering support to our students, staff, families, and community. I will be meeting with students individually, conducting classroom educational lessons on various topics, meeting with parents, collaborating with teachers and staff, and consulting with community organizations to benefit and meet the needs of all our students.
My passion for school counseling began during my time as a teacher when I wanted to have an even bigger impact on students at the elementary level. What I love most about the younger students is the genuine curiosity children have in their learning and the world around them, as well as the opportunity for early intervention support that can have a lifelong positive impact on a child.
I hope to assist students to see things positively, feel connected, teach strategies, and cope with issues that may arise. I look forward to being a partner and a resource for all stakeholders in our school community. Please reach out to me as needed.
Smith / Lange School Counselor
School Counselors (previously referred to as Guidance Counselors) support all students in grades PreK-12 with academic achievement, social and emotional development and career planning. Ohio School Counselors are licensed and have completed an approved master’s program and an extensive internship. They develop and implement comprehensive school counseling programs that promote and enhance student success by collaborating with families, teachers and administrators.
Resource retrieved from the Ohio Department of Education (8/25/17). For more information on this topic please visit http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Career-Tech/Caree...
Military Kids Club Meetings
The mission of the Military Kids Club is to provide a fun and safe place for our military kids to be encouraged, strengthened and connected to the E.D. Smith Community.
The club meets about once a month during the lunch period (11:30-12:40) to do fun activities and connect with each other.
We will be meeting in the library this year. Come check it out and join the fun!
- Oct. 5, 2022 – Meet and Greet for students
- Nov. 2, 2022
- Dec. 6, 2022
- Jan. 18, 2023
- Feb. 15, 2023
- March 15, 2023
- April 19, 2023- Purple Up for MKC & Show our Military Pride
- May 17, 2023- Celebrate our group
Lunch Bunch 5th & 6th
I will be facilitating a group once a month during lunch that will be student-led. This is a group that will offer students a place to share what is on their minds. If a student is having trouble fitting in with peers, managing homework and classroom expectations, experiencing fear, frustration, or anxiety for any reason, this is a great, optional group for them to visit. If you would like more information, feel free to contact me. If you would prefer your child does not attend please, let me know to opt-out.
The club meets about once a month during the lunch period (11:30-12:00). We will be meeting in the library.
- November 16, 2022
- December 14, 2022
- January 11, 2023
- February 8, 2023
- March 22, 2023
- May 10, 2023
Skills to Practice
1. Encourage children to resolve issues on their own when possible. Rather than solving it for them, ask questions that will facilitate them solving it themselves. Discuss how potential decisions could impact themself and others.
2. Read books to learn how to create healthy relationships and resolve conflict.
3. Help your child explore and engage emotions. Encourage them to build an understanding that feelings are real and that everyone has them. Help in identifying emotions can be helpful at a younger age.
4. Practice labeling and modeling your emotions when you encounter stress. Name what you are feeling, use coping tools to mitigate stress like deep breathing and then discuss other tools you use to calm yourself with your child.
5. Model behaviors like empathy and kindness through your own day. This will encourage children to help and engage with others in a similar manner.
Timber is a program designed to help all learners develop the skills necessary for success in today's world.
To learn more about this program please go to our Timber page.
Oakwood Schools is committed to providing assistance to military families who call Oakwood home. On our Military Families page, you'll find resources to assist you with the unique challenges facing military families.